This particular blog works best in Mozilla Firefox







Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Offensive, or Not? You tell me...

today in signet(all the intresting stuff seems to happen in signet, doesn't it?) we had to do something that involved creativity. we had to create omething with limited materials:1 peice of paper, a peice of string, 4 toothpicks, and a couple other things. What really kinda bothered me was that one of the groups in class depicted the crucifiction of Jesus Christ(peace be upon him) in Jerusalem. Now, the fact that it was something religous in school didn't bother me, it was the fct they depicted Jesus(peace be upon him) at all. i mean, that was kinda wrong. I mean, it would be ok if it was just a cross or whatever but they actually depicted him(with some yellow play-doh by the way) at all. I mean, that was offensive, since the depiction of any prophet is against my religon. i mean, if they do that stuff at home or somewhere else, that doesn' affect me so i'm ok with it, but it was just... i felt kind of unaccounted for and like no one cared about what i thought of it. i spoke out too. but ya know what? only a couple of other kids in class agreed with the fact it was disturbing. of course i didn't get a chance to explain the whole thing. all i had time to say was that it was kind of offensive. I mean, it would have been ok if the just made a cross to symbolize it but they went and made a clay-like creation of that prophet. I mean, that's kinda what started the riots in Denmark and stuff, the depiction of the prophet Muhammad(peace be upon him). So tell me, should i feel offended or should i feel dumb about getting riled up about the whole thing and forget about it?

PS- i don't hate anyone or any country or any religon. I just felt it was nessasary for people to no i am not comfortable with public display of prophets where i can see it. That was a really creative thing they did. it's just that it felt really wierd. symbols=ok. actual depictions=not okay(to me) School is my escape from lonliness (i am an only child), and i feel i should be comfortable there.
PPS. I might add stuff to the post later if i forgot to put something down. oh, and thanks for listening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home





---------------------------------------------------------------